The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generator specs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayRay wrote:
tnt wrote:
You guys convinced me....we'll play acoustic and sing really loud.

I think the 10 g. cord would be the way to go. I'll scope things out later this week, see how close power is.

Just remember, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link...

10 Gauge drop cords (Extension cords) are GOOD...but the power source must be as capable.

If the wire in the wall is 14/2 and the breaker is rated at 15 amps, it may not be enough at 50FT for 10 GA.drops.
It could cause the wire in the wall to heat up and kick out the breaker because of the load draw at that distance.

500 HP HO motor in a '62 Falcon with stock trans and brakes would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm not trying to sabotage your gig, Embarassed I'm just trying to help you not make a costly mistake.
Check out what you've got before you need it. If you equipment puts more draw on the system than 15 AMPS then you need to do something else. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Ray.

Does it mean anything that when we practice, full band, full PA, in a barn, running all off one 15 amp breaker? Including the lights for the barn?

This outdoor gig would be less than half that gear.

Hopefully this weekend I'll make progress trying to see where I can get power and make a list of gear we'd use.
RayRay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
RayRay wrote:
tnt wrote:
You guys convinced me....we'll play acoustic and sing really loud.

I think the 10 g. cord would be the way to go. I'll scope things out later this week, see how close power is.

Just remember, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link...

10 Gauge drop cords (Extension cords) are GOOD...but the power source must be as capable.

If the wire in the wall is 14/2 and the breaker is rated at 15 amps, it may not be enough at 50FT for 10 GA.drops.
It could cause the wire in the wall to heat up and kick out the breaker because of the load draw at that distance.

500 HP HO motor in a '62 Falcon with stock trans and brakes would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm not trying to sabotage your gig, Embarassed I'm just trying to help you not make a costly mistake.
Check out what you've got before you need it. If you equipment puts more draw on the system than 15 AMPS then you need to do something else. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Ray.

Does it mean anything that when we practice, full band, full PA, in a barn, running all off one 15 amp breaker? Including the lights for the barn?

This outdoor gig would be less than half that gear.

Hopefully this weekend I'll make progress trying to see where I can get power and make a list of gear we'd use.

Of course it matters, if your source (Outlet) to use distance is equal to that of the barn scenario, OR is 50' or less with 10 GA.... you should be just fine. Wink
But don't assume anything, total up the combined wattage, do the math for your AMP draw and compare it with the source breaker to be safe.
Also, it you KNOW what the number is, you'll know what you need when you go elsewhere in the future. Wink

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." --Mark Twain

"I love God, my family, America, and the Constitution.
Guess you know what that makes me........"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: