The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you trade a 5150 combo for a Vox AC30CC1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Would you trade a 5150 combo for a Vox AC30CC1? Reply with quote

See subject line. I have a mint 5150 combo I don't use - it's just too much amp. I have been looking for a trade since the price people will pay for these is a lot less than I paid new for it. Mad

Anyway, I was offered a mid-90's Vox for it. Whaddaya think, worth a swap?

My other amps are a modded Blues Junior and a custom-made point-to-point high gain 5 watt amp, if you're wondering how the sound would integrate into my setup.
Craig_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you literally *never* use the 5150, then sure. But an AC30 is also a hell of a lot of amplifier - if it's a 'can't play this at bedroom volume' sort of issue, the AC30 will only be a hair better than the 5150.

They're also totally different sounding amps. I've owned both and would probably choose the AC30 for the kind of music I'm into, but I love the 5150s when they're driven to crunch.
Wardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I love the 5150s when they're driven to crunch.

So, you mean when the amp is set to "on". Ha ha.
Guitarchitect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. If you want more modern/more crunch then stick with the 5150. If you want a warmer more vintage tone go for the Vox. Both are great amps but very different.

"The most sophisticated people I know - inside they are all children." -Jim Henson
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!
http://www.raveonguitars.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: