The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on best LP back color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Opinions on best LP back color Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to stain a LP copy and would like to solicit your valued opinions.

Using Bill's powered dyes, I've mixed up a pretty good black cherry alcohol dye for the maple top. What I'd like to know is whether you think a dark mahogany back or natural would look better with the black cherry top. The picture shows the different back options I'm considering.

LarryN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not cherry the back, also? If you do, the mahogany would produce a somewhat darker tint, anyway. If not, I think the darker tint would look better than natural mahogany, personally. As for which I prefer, it really depends on the top color.
Lars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarryN

Thanks for the response. I guess I was planning on using the black cherry dye on all of it, probably producing a darker back...if I go that way.

I"ve just been kind of intrigued by the natural finish on mahogany lately. My reservation is that there is such a high contrast between the back and the top, it almost makes the top look like it's floating or just stuck on (which it is of course).

I just wanted some opinions from you dudes with some design/refinishing expertise, so please chime in.

Thanks

LarryK (aka Lars)
akima

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Contrast Reply with quote

I would think a contrasting color would look best. Light top - dark back. Dark top- light back.
guitarguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wipe a thin coat of yellow or amber onto the mahogany if you want to see the color pop when you clear it. Looks way better than natural or a dark color.
rodrira1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarguy wrote:
Wipe a thin coat of yellow or amber onto the mahogany if you want to see the color pop when you clear it. Looks way better than natural or a dark color.

It depends on the top for me, but generally natural.

Re: guitarguy's recommendation about wiping amber first, the first pic is a stock LP - is this what the amber wipe would produce? I would love to be able to reproduce this in the future, not sure if its amber or not. I'm guessing you could probably do this with Reranch's middle burst color, just 1 thin coat.

The other two pics are from one I did. Its natural back with some cherry on top, but the combination of an apoxy fill with shellac as a sealer produced the "color".

Rickc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's GORGEOUS!
akima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Grain popping Reply with quote

Quote:
The other two pics are from one I did. Its natural back with some cherry on top, but the combination of an apoxy fill with shellac as a sealer produced the "color".

I love the way you got plain mahogany's grain to stand out. Did you use a dark epoxy grain filler?

[/quote]
rodrira1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Grain popping Reply with quote

akima wrote:
I love the way you got plain mahogany's grain to stand out. Did you use a dark epoxy grain filler?

Nope, just boring epoxy in two bottles. Gotta give the tree some credit for the look. Wish I could get good pictures of the sides, the grain swirls up and down all around the guitar like a sine wave going back and forth from the back to the top.

Gibson covered it all up with that thick sealer and dyed it cherry, looked almost opaque when stock.
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the dark back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: