The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to configure my controls Update - Thanks Joe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Trying to configure my controls Update - Thanks Joe! Reply with quote

I have the all cavities cut and am trying to decide how to position my controls. I'd like your input. If you could put the controls of your tele where you wanted to (within the boundries of the cavity of course) where would you put them. Here are 6 configs I came up with.

The plan is to put the volume first (closest to the horn) then tone and the switch out of the way.

I'm leaning towards either 05 (sort of Strat like) or 06 (flipped plate tele style). What do you think?

Last edited by ranman on Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked #4 because the layout on my Tele build is in the same postion but the knobs are set on more of an angle.
Try to look at the knobs as if you are wearing the guitar. The perspective for me was different. Glad I did it too because I would have not been happy if I would have drill them.
ranman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tip Joe.

I used some double stick tape and put the knobs on the body in the various configs I came up with and holding the body in the aprox playing position found that I didn't totally like any of the 6 I had shown. The one I will use I think is about what you described. Similar to #04 but the knobs are angled down a bit wider apart and the switch below and more or less centered between them. My hand just seemed to naturally be able to find the controls better in these positions.

Thanks again

Randy
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem buddy. Glad I was able to help.
guitarattack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked 1 because, based on my analysis, that is the most comfortable configuration for my playing style. My original guitars had this configuration, and I still use it. I've wired most with two volumes, but some have been volume/tone. Personally I like the switch in the back -- it seems more intuitive than a switch on the upper horn like a Les Paul.

Just my opinion -- no flame, please.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: