The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uneven tinted clear on body, what to do???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Uneven tinted clear on body, what to do???
Clear it and move on - looks good as it!
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Sand down the obviously dark spots, then clear...
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Spray more tinted clear to try to even it out, then clear
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Just relic it!
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

missionguitars

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Uneven tinted clear on body, what to do??? Reply with quote

Well, been a while, but this thing is "the body that did NOT want to get painted".... Mad Laughing

Endless bugs/hairs/dirt landing on it with every clear coat, causing much stopped, plucking out, sanding down, & re-shooting...anyway, got it to an acceptable point, time to hit it with some blush remover & tinted clear, but now I have a "problem"...

Hard to see from the pics, but the tinted clear is not on evenly...which at first drove me nuts, but when you think about it, when was the last time a finish aged evenly?

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call on that one. I'd maybe try shooting more of the tinted clear before you do anything else. you might be able to even it out.

If it were mine, I'd stay away from doing a relic...a Star body needs to be obnoxiously clean and shiny. Cool
DukeofIbanez

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some teenage mutant ninja turtle decals on that bad boy..... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: