The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tele build problem,Surf Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Style
Neck H/B,Tortoise shell PG
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Esquire style, mint green PG
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 20

indianjjy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Tele build problem,Surf Green Reply with quote

I have a 'PRIMO' basswood tele body, it is surf green, paint is perfect. It will have a maple neck. My problem is, it is cut out for a neck H/B, I will have a Bill Lawrence 13.2 K 2 wire H/B in the bridge, and I have a neck H/B, all appointments will be chrome. Should I do a tele style, which will have a tortoise shell pickguard with the 2 H/B's or a Esquire style with just the Bill Lawrence as I have a vintage-aged mint green pickguard for it. The body looks good with the tortoise shell as well as the mint green. I think it would be great either way but I respect you bros opinion, HELP ME !

John
Craig_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why people would stop at one pickup when they could have 2!
gkyhn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why stop at 2?
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys are just being funny but there is actually a very good reason to have as few pickups on the guitar as possible/practical.

The reason is that pickups have magnets in them. Magnets pull on the strings and actually are acting on the steel or nickel strings at all times, pulling them toward the face of the guitar.

The magnetic fields can affect the vibrational pattern of the strings, which is why you get weird ghost-tones and out-of-tune sounds when the pickups are too close to the strings.

It's been my experience that one-pickup guitars tend to have stronger tone and longer sustain than the equivalent 2-pickup guitars. Less magnetic flux pulling the strings downward allows them to vibrate more freely.

There's a reason Juniors and Esquires are so sought after. They sound great-- very pure and open (the good ones-- there's nothing like them). There's a reason Wes Montgomery specified only one pickup in his L-5. OK, I don't know Wes's reasons, and it might well have had to do with fewer holes in the top, but it sounds good anyway! Very Happy

In any case, I also notice that the 3-pickup Les Paul Customs and such seem to be sought after for almost every reason other than their sound, in 90% of cases. That is a whopping 6 coils-- a lot of magnetic flux acting on the strings.

In any case, this is not really a matter of voodoo or superstition, but something that's observable with a very simple experiment that I performed, that you can try too!

I got a refrigerator magnet off my fridge-- a little donut shaped guy with reasonable gauss that appears to be made of strontium ferrite.

I held it over the low E string of an old archtop and plucked the note and timed the sustain.

Then I did the same without the magnet.

The difference was not subtle! Shocked

Granted, I had the magnet closer to the string than it would be if it were a pickup, BUT the string IS in the magnetic field of the pickup's coil-- otherwise it would not be picked up.

So that's some food for thought.

I ALWAYS vote for one pickup if possible.
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I vote for the Esquire setup. Twisted Evil

I'm completely hooked on the Esquire right now so I'd vote for that anytime!!

BTW, get yourself a tapped pickup and you'll be in heaven. There's a bunch of people out there doing them now so go for it!!
RandyM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Esquire.
~frank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangelolemon wrote:
In any case, this is not really a matter of voodoo or superstition, but something that's observable with a very simple experiment that I performed, that you can try too!

Awww, man!!

Stop butchering our sacred cows. Next thing you know, you'll have us eating them. Pretty soon we won't even be able to say, "m0j0" with a straight face Crying or Very sad Razz
tnt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted neck HB - then split them if you can...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: