The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new project idea - update w/ pics 11-21-08
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many pickups?
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
add 3 necks and make it 7 pickups!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

BeeTL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Strat with the S-1 switch I was thinking about re-wiring to a 3-way switch.

I like the idea of switching while playing, but 5 positions is too much to manage while singing.

I landed on the idea of a neck/bridge 3-way V/T setup with the 3rd (middle) knob as a volume control for the middle pickup.

You can blend it in for tonal variation and still have the simplicity of a 3-way switch.
dougk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much the same scheme on the firebird. I think I want to swap the mid pups volume with a push pull so I can leave the volume set where I want and just pull it up to kick it on. Right now its kind of a pita to have to constantly turn the volume all the way off to kill that pup.

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Did I mention Doug is right?

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
BeeTL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougk wrote:
That's pretty much the same scheme on the firebird. I think I want to swap the mid pups volume with a push pull so I can leave the volume set where I want and just pull it up to kick it on. Right now its kind of a pita to have to constantly turn the volume all the way off to kill that pup.

I felt the same way when I got my Jazz bass, then I got used to it!
Johnson82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm kinda winding down on the construction phase, and getting ready for the finishing. I've got the cap glued on, just have to mostly do some routing and sanding. Not a lot of progress to show when you only get one day/week to work on it...

Here's the wire routes:

My quilt maple cap:

Here it is half done (not glued yet):

Here's all the maple cut out (still not glued yet):

It's all glued up now, and I unclamped it today. The seam isn't as nice as I'd like it to be, but since the maple I had warped, I couldn't really take it to the jointer again. I think it should be okay. I'm not staining it, so I may just take some of my clear grainfiller with some sawdust and get into it.

Oh, and here are a couple more teaser photos. Keep in mind, I'm still thinking of going sans-control plate, and I'm surely going to go with chrome:

I still haven't decided exactly HOW I'm going to wire this yet, but we'll cross that bridge later. Nor have I come up with a firm decision on whether to use a traditional tele bridge or a hardtail string-thru like the mockups...That's probably the last thing I need to decide before the paint!

As always, suggestions are not only welcome, they're encouraged! Cool
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: