The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you all start final sanding with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken W.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: What do you all start final sanding with? Reply with quote

I am starting the final sanding before polishing and I always skipped the 400 grit and started with 600, but, as I have seen posted before, it seems like the 800 grit does more than the 600. Soooo, I decided to start with 800 this time and I am finding that it seems to take it down a lot faster than the 600 and does not seem to clog up as fast either. I think I will try the 800 this time around as I always seem to have troubles getting out some of the 600 swirls.

What have any of you tried and or recommend starting with? I am curious if anyone ever tried going directly to the 800 and your experience with that.
65FenderMustang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intermeadiate sanding is 800 or finer.
I wouldn't start with anything less that 2400 grit after I've shot the clear coat on it.
If the clear doesn't flow and winds up too orange peeled then I sand it with 800 or so and re-shoot it.
See ya
zippy lee iskowitz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with 800 on a maple neck, took FOREVER, but came out great. Got a little braver on the next one, r/w board, and started with 400. Didn't take as long, and came out better. But I didn't have to sand between frets.
Andy_R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way to think about this not just what to grit to start with, but how much pressure to apply and how much repetition.

It is fairly obvious that starting with haevy sanding at 400 will likely result in sand throughs.

I start wtih 400, but very lightly and few strokes.

600 gets slightly more aggressive, but not much.

800 you can begin the real deal!

Thanks,
Andy
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with andy on this.

400 is great when you need it. and really, really bad when you don't.
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: