The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valve Jr. vs. Blues Jr.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which would you rather play thru?
Epiphone Valve Jr.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Fender Blues Jr.
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 18

rickenfender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Valve Jr. vs. Blues Jr. Reply with quote

Poll Time!

I have had a Fender Blues Jr. for a while now, but plugged into an Epiphone Valve Jr. the other day and I was blown away! For 5 watts it was just the volume I need for jammin' with the family in the basement. Don't get me wrong, the Blues Jr. is a great little amp. Maybe it's just because I'm used the tone in my Blues, but I really, really liked the sound of the Valve Jr.
What's the opinion on these little watt'ers?
rockles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epi Valve Jr. and I've added 3 mods to it. I play it through an Ampeg 4x12 cab with Eminence speakers with a BYOC 250+ pedal. It's too loud to play it cranked in the basement. Also with the mods and the pedal I can get just about any tone I want out of it. I'm thinking about getting another and trying some different mods just to see what else it will do...

I do want to get one of the Blues Jr with the 12 in speaker.
missionguitars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty happy with the Valve Jr head (even without mods - those are forthcoming, thanks for the instrux Rocky!), especially since I got it for $99.

That being said, I think the Blues Jr. costs about 4X as much, so I would expect it to sound better! Everyone that has one seem to be happy with them, but I would hesitate to pay that much for one - just my .02, YMMV...

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Blues Jr for $250 on the bay. I got lucky. Wink

Never played the Epi, but the BJr sounds good to me. You have to play with the tone controls, but that's what they're there for. Plenty loud for small club gigs, and all my neighbors know when I'm practicing. Laughing

Sidebar: For larger gigs my Hot Rod Deluxe is loud enough. The only time I mic it is for outdoor gigs, and then it's often not necessary.
rickenfender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

Sidebar: For larger gigs my Hot Rod Deluxe is loud enough. The only time I mic it is for outdoor gigs, and then it's often not necessary.

I got a great deal on a Vox AC30 last year, so I'm covered on "loud". I'd take that thing everywhere if it wasn't as heavy as a Ford. Confused I love the sound of the Vox, but the Blues Jr. does sound different. I think that's why I liked the Valve Jr. so much- it sounded like a clean AC30 without the extra volume (or 60lbs.) Rolling Eyes
Structo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a real comparison of those two amps.
The Epi Jr. is a 5 watt amp and the Blues Jr. is a 15 watt amp.
The Blues Jr has bass, mids, treble, master volume, and reverb.
The Epi has a volume control.

I suppose if you mod the Epi heavily it could be a decent amp.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Wardo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I agree, these amps are apples and oranges.

Coincidentally, I have both. And I'm selling my Epi, because the BJ does everything it does, only better. What do I need two small practise amps, especially when I'm always reaching for the Fender?

Sure, the Epi has some excellent mods out there, but so does the BJ. But right out of the box, the BJ is more versatile with tonal controls, master volume, OD, etc. Mod the BJ (I have) and it's no contest.

My advice would be to look for a good deal on a BJ instead of getting an Epi only to blow the money on the mods that will give it the tone approaching the BJ.
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blues Jr. is far and away a better choice. It's not a boutique amp, but it's not "just another practice amp". Countless players gig and record with these things all the time. I asked the guys here on the forum for advice before I bought mine. I'm glad I picked one up. They sound great when you really push them hard, but they also sound good at lower levels with some stomp boxes. Much more headroom with the BJ...that alone makes it a better value, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: