The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck Amber; A Poll....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is ReRanch Neck Amber....
1. Just right?
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
2. Too red?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3. Too yellow?
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 24

pbassguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with amber. Like Joe said, just take it easy with it.
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer something a little more 'vintage' looking, a bit more brown.

here's a pic of my orginal USACG flame maple neck with a few coats of neck amber with several coats of clear on top of it (bottom) and a home-made blend of lacquer tinted with Golden Oak, Cherry Brown and Vintage Maple liquid dyes and sprayed with a Spra-Tool sprayer(top):

and

keep in mind, the flame neck is around 4 years old now, and has toned down a bit in color. it looked pretty jaundiced when it was new.

here's a pic shortly after finishing:

http://www.pbase.com/bluenote/image/2530998
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed to work good for me. In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have gone so crazy with it, but I think it'll be OK.
ChrisGs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my can of Neck Amber is considerably more yellow than the sample pic on the Reranch site . I also that my can of tinted laquer is more yellow than the can of neck amber that I have .

That's my story ,
Chris.
bluzman00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used it and mixed in another dye called tobacco brown heres the formula for the best looking neck u ever seen, use about 6 drops amber to 4 to 6 drops tobacco brown , mixed im clear lacquer, now u have to shoor this with a gun, i just finished 2 necks and they are fantastic looking not too yellow at all just right!, you really need to put this stuff on with a gun for it to go on correctly, mine is perfectly even, flawless.

i will post a few pictures in a few days! order the stew mac tobacco brown you need it with the amber. amber alone wont work.
MaxTwang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to use Neck Amber for the first time. Since other RR colors are based on original colors, I assume so is the Neck Amber. As I am going for the look of an aged neck it is my plan to spray S&S then neck amber then mix some brown/amber dye with clear lacquer to age it a bit (I plan on using a Preval sprayer). LMII has a 6 pack of all their alcohol aniline dye colors for about $20.

I'll post pics as soon as the weather cooperates and I can spray. I finally get all the summer house projects done then it's too windy to spray, now the winds died down and the humidity shot up!
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reranch Neck Amber will start out very yellow. Keep adding coats and it will get more amber. Follow the instructions in RR101 and you'll have no trouble.

This is my Squier neck:

In different light it changes from a nice brownish amber to a dark orange-brown.
RBryan51

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just right. +1 to above.
I've used it with your tobacco brown befor with excellent results. I found out if you follow directions you're better off and have more predictable results. I have 3 fender necks going now and all are about what I wanted. (Sorry on the road and no pic)
I have also used it to bring out grain in a mahogany neck with good results.

When Life Hands You a Lemon...Ask it for a Bottle of Tequila and a Salt Shaker.

POG MA THOIN!
chuckergtrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 for Just Right. Bill, if you decide to change it, maybe you could still offer "Original Recipe" for those of us who like it the way it is. Very Happy

Chucker
Plaid Sabbath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the neck amber! My vote goes to continuation of the "classic" formula. (Although I'll probably try the new formula as well.)
sharkydude50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used it on my Ex's mahogany body w/o problems. May be just a tad too yellow. See below.

rayspang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: neck amber Reply with quote

I think the right color for a neck is very subjective. I doubt that the color of two necks, age exactly the same due to lacquer formulations and enviornmental factors. I used the RR neck amber over 3 clear coats, then buried it under several more coats. This changed the color slightly and it looked great to me. I sprayed two light coats of the stuff, just enough to darken the maple neck which had that "too new" look.
Habby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the poll, but I really like reranch neck amber the way it is. I've used it on 4 necks and at least 10 headstocks. Combined with a couple of coats of McFadden's vintage clear the end result is way better than any new neck trying to look old I've ever seen Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: