The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck wood, Mohogany or Maple?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Neck wood, Mohogany or Maple? Reply with quote

Im getting ready to build my Zakk Wylde Lp with the inlaid bullseye pattern, but I have a question.

We have a cabinet making place in town that my uncle said sells big peices of wood suitable for making a guitar. Im planning on getting my body wood from there (mohogany), but to save myself from having to make 2 trips I want to go ahead and get the neck wood while im there.

So heres the question, What wood would be better for my project. Mohogany to go along with the mohogany body or maple to go along with the maple top?

The whole guitar is going to be natural finished (except for the face of the headstock which will be black) so im thinking a maple neck might look stupid since when veiwed from behind it will be seen with the mohogany body.

Now heres the tricky part, since the Zakk wylde LP has a maple neck I feel like I should keep it as true to "real deal" as possible (wood wise anyways).

Another factor that comes to mind is which wood is going to be easier to work with. Mohogany being a porous wood will be harder to finish but maple being so hard seems like it will be harder shape.

So what will it be? All input is appreciated.
onemyndseye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When selecting tone woods, the body defines the overall tonal characteristics of the guitar while the neck wood colors that tone. So a maple neck (and also the maple top) will lend to some brighter tonal qualities to the overall warm tone of the mohagany. The same goes for the choice of fretboard wood: Rosewood = warm, Maple = Bright, Ebony = Bright with a defined attack.

....If all that helps any ....

Now, Zakk actually has a couple different version of the same guitar... For instance he has one with 2 EMG 81's instead of his usuall EMG 81/85 setup. And he also has one with maple neck and atleast one that is Mohagany. All have ebony fretboards Im fairly sure.... Check out this months Guitar World (August 2004). In Zakk's "Brewtality" article he answers afew questions about his guitars ( Small portion shown here ). Should make an interesting read for ya.. it also lists a back issue that further details his whole rig.

So either choice is pretty "true to the real deal" so to speak Smile. For more information on selecting tone woods, try Here .. Looks to be a pretty decent guide

Hope this helps,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: