The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Four String or Five String Fretted Bass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Four Strings or Five?
Four Strings
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Five Strings
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Four String or Five String Fretted Bass? Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to purchase a new bass. A four string fretted is built but it is going off for a review at Bass Player magazine and won't be back for two months. A five string fretted is ready to ship. The price is about the same. I own a four string fretless from the builder and really love the bass but I want a fretted for our country sound. So what do you think? I have a Ken Smith fretted five but haven't had time to learn to play it with the freedom I play a four but my guess is in a few years the five will be the choice of most players. They make sense.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, the 5 does make sense. It also gives a bit more versatility in your sound as a band. I am in need of a new 5er after I sold my Fender Jazz last year. If you get it I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it and what it is. I get BP magazine, will it be in the new issue?
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking to get a cheap 5 string to play around with, to see if I actually need it. Bill, if you are going to LJT gig, I would question the bass players in the band for their preferences, and go from there. The country sound for years has been plucked on a 4 string, perferablly a vintage Pbass sound. I don't know if the extra 5 lower notes are required for any genre or just being easier to play, technique wise. Good question??? JMHO and good luck in your search. I'll still take all your orphan basses, LOL
Houndog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Jamerson and Pastorius knew they really needed a five string! Wink Laughing
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I'm thinking. The extra notes aren't the real gain. The top sting is tuned to B so for the fifth and fourth strings the one five notes in any key are right together (E/B, G/C close A/E ect.) and you never have to play an open string. Open strings to me are harder to control.
frpax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a traditionalist bass player. I like 4 over 5. Low "E" is plenty low. I usually play up the fretboard anyway. Plus I prefer the neck width of the 4 over the 5.

~Ace Frehley
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but a 5 is fun once you get used to it. I am more comfortable on a 4 string but I did add a hipshot tuner to my homemade bass and my Fender P bass for certain songs that are in different keys where I prefer a lower tone over a higher one. It just gives more flexability if you decide to explore with your playing more. I also dont like open string notes, which is why I also prefer a low B string, especially with funk and groove tunes. Maybe country music it doesn't make too much sense but I guess its really what you're going to be playing. Maybe you should go with the 4 banger instead Bill, it seems to fit the genre of music better. Let me know if you ever decide to sell the Ken Smith 5er. Wink
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I decided on a four string. I also talked to Wade and he said four because I can play four.... I'll keep the Ken Smith to expand on the five.

Last edited by Guitars on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Dan Demars perhaps? That should be nice!
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, You guessed it. I thought about a AAAAA maple top but Dan won't have one ready for a while.

Here is a pic of my DG 002 fretless (back when I had hair);

marksound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill, do you get many people asking about that Mike Caddy? I'd swear mine is just about the star of the show, at least when there are other musicians around. Confused

Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is Wade's. Mine is a curly wire one that holds a drink can. Bill....
RobHale777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sweet looking bass, Bill! How does it sound?

Rob

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/robhale777/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: